- Irish group Westlife is preparing for the release of Gravity, their new album on November 15th in the UK. Today they released the cover art today via out member Mark Feehily‘s Twitter. Here’s the behind-the-scenes from the photoshoot for the cover.
- British gay rights group Stonewall has released A Guide for Gay Dads that covers many of the legal aspects of becoming gay parents in the UK including via surrogacy, adoption, fostering and co-parenting. While much of the legal aspects don’t apply in the rest of the world, I thought the "Your Stories" that were sprinkled throughout the download were fairly universal to any potential gay dads. This is a companion publication to Pregnant Pause for lesbian mothers last year.
- An article published by the AP has spread throughout the media starting a meme that angry gay voters are going to stay home on election day and give the election to the Republicans. This is troubling, because it feels like we’re being set up to be blamed when the election goes wrong.
- Last week we ran a video interview with Rudolf Brazda, the only known surviving Pink Triangle from Naztweiler-Struthofz. At the time, it was unclear how the French interview came about, but now we can report that it came about when a plaque was unveiled last month commemorating "To the memory of victims of Nazi barbarism, deported on grounds of homosexuality."
- Broadway cutie and Gossip Girl hunk Matt Doyle made passionate posts about bullying before the issue was receiving so much attention. Now you can check out his It Gets Better video.
- Hottie James Marsden is set to guest on Modern Family as a neighbor of Cameron (Eric Stonestreet) and Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) who turns ups the heat in the neighborhood every time he removes his shirt. TV Guide speculates it could be a fun running gag on subsequent episodes of the show. We agree!
- Maggie Gallagher‘s National Organization for Marriage has begun a bus tour of Iowa aimed at ousting state Supreme Court justices who voted for marriage equality in that state. Of course, she takes no responsibility for her part in creating a climate of hatred that led to any gay youth suicides.
- Bearded, hunky, San Francisco Giant’s relief pitcher Brian Wilson recently came to our attention for a video interview he did where someone named "The Machine" appeared in the background. You’ll just have to go watch, because I have no idea how to describe it exactly what happens. But the topic came up again during an ESPN Rome is Burning interview and he Wilson now has our full attention as we wait to see what he does next.
- Our old friend Cheeks has done his own chipper spin on It Gets Better that he’s called It Gets Better When? The "when" is something important to hang onto.
- An extremely NSFW viral video full of a naughty word we can’t use here has raised $150k for marriage equality by selling pink t-shirts your mother wouldn’t approve of.
- University of Michigan student body president Chris Armstrong dropped his request for a restraining order against Assistant Attorney General Andrew Shirvell today. The reason given is that Shirvell hasn’t contacted Armstrong since served with notice, but Shirvell’s attorney claims that personal protection orders wouldn’t have been granted in this case because of the free speech issue, a questionable claim. Shirvell remains on leave from the Attorney General’s office pending adminstrative hearings.
- Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark (OMD) is making a demo of "Sister Mary Says" available for a free download.
- The Scissor Sisters say that they have been forced to cancel a number of tour dates on mainland Europe due to "funding issues."
- Today on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Ellen played Haunted Hunky Musical Chairs. I’ll take the guy dressed as Hannibal Lecter, please! (Now there is something I never expected to say!) I’ve yet to see a man picked from the audience to play a game on Ellen‘s show, much less one involving her "hunks,". Now does that seem fair to you?
- Sir Elton John did an extensive interview in support of his new album (recorded with Leon Russell). When he was quizzed on singing for Rush Limbaugh at his wedding, he claimed Limbaugh was no more anti-gay than President Obama, which shows Elton’s gross misunderstanding of reality. But he says he got the same criticism when he did the duet with Eminem, and now Slim Shady is fine with the gays. I just want to know how Eminem got the sizing for this:
Eminem has now come out in
support of gay marriage. ‘For our civil partnership present he gave David
and me two diamond-encrusted c*ck-rings.’
- A new survey in the UK reveals that bisexuals experience different challenges from their friends, coworkers, and society in general than people who identify as gay, lesbian, or straight. There’s too much information to summarize, but you can read more here.
- In response to news that the CEO of TRT Holdings, owners of the Gold’s Gym franchise name, donated millions to Karl Rove‘s anti-gay American Crossroads PAC, the four Gold’s Gyms in San Francisco have announced they intend to terminate their franchise agreement at the end of their contract in 2012, or earlier if they can legally do so. Until they can do that, for every dollar they pay to TRT in franchise fees, they will make a donation to a GLBT charity. See how hard it was to do the right thing, Target?
Happy 48th to David Furnish, who can use the occasion to wear his ring, and 40th to country singer Chely Wright.
- New York City gay youth activist Joseph Jefferson has committed suicide at the age of 26. He was a 2002 graduate of Harvey Milk High, and worked on HIV prevention outreach with Gay Men of African Descent. Our thoughts are with his friends and family.
- Vanity Fair decided to have some fun with Photoshop and paste the heads of old Republicans like Newt Gingrich and Mike Huckabee on the bodies of barely dressed hot hunks for the Red Meat 2010-11 Republican Beefcake Calendar. But be warned, this can be very disturbing to look at.
- Stephen Fry recently made some statements that aren’t likely to make him popular with women anywhere. Said Fry, "I feel sorry for straight men. The only reason women will have sex with
them is that sex is the price they are willing to pay for a relationship
with a man, which is what they want. They want a boyfriend and then
they want commitment. Of course a lot of women will deny this and say, ‘Oh, no, but I love
sex, I love it!’ But do they go around having it the way that gay men
- Using a bunch of rugby terms I don’t quite understand, Gareth Thomas appears to have led Wales to victory over France in an upset for the European Cup. Gareth says via Twitter that he was also honored by the French sports minister as an ambassador for stamping out homophobia in French sport.
And today’s Briefs are brought to you by…