Bette Davis in Jezebel (1938)
Today would’ve been Bette Davis‘ 105th birthday, and I hope your seatbelts have been fastened, because it’s been a bumpy (albeit legendary) ride for the two-time Oscar winner. Before I unleash five perfect Bette Davis GIFs on you, here are a few philosophical questions about the silver screen’s most sarcastic dame.
1) Why does no one talk about The Whales of August? I don’t care how boring it was. It had Davis and Gish, who dared to live until the 1990s, people.
2) Why do so few people reference Bette Davis’ gig as the original matriarch of Aaron Spelling‘s Hotel and how she was replaced by Anne Baxter during the series?
3) Is anyone else heartbroken that Bette Davis’ classic advice to L.A. residents — “Take Fountain” — barely applies anymore? With that damn school blocking Fountain on the East side of Hollywood, the famous shortcut only gets you so far.
4) It is so, so impossible to side with Joan Crawford in the age old Davis/Crawford war. Bette is fabulous. Joan is loudly petty. There’s a difference.
5) Bette serves it up in Death on the Nile. Bland caper, but never a bland Bette.
Now, fabulous GIFs:
What’s your favorite Bette moment? And once again, happy birthday to the ferocious queen herself!