It’s 2013, so I assume you’ve already acquainted yourself with the bad news: Internet commentary about TV is almost always better, or at least funnier, than TV itself. This was especially true in the case of last night’s Emmys, an unusually somber event given that it was supposed to be celebrating our current “golden age of television.” When weren’t we in a golden age of television again? 1997 or something? Please. Don’t tell me you didn’t love The Single Guy.
Fortunately, funny gay guys (and I) live-tweeted the Emmys. Here are ten of my favorite quips from that posse on Merritt Wever‘s big night.
1. Chris Schleicher thinks one Big Bang Theory star treated a comic legend like his dim brother Darryl (or his other dim brother Darryl).
I’m Jim Parsons and I have several Emmys. Here’s Bob Newhart. He has one.
— Chris Schleicher (@cschleichsrun) September 23, 2013
2. Meanwhile, Billy Eichner is saving the real criticism for Bob himself.
I love you, Bob Newhart, but its time you CAME OUT OF THE CLOSET. — billy eichner (@billyeichner) September 23, 2013
3. Richard Lawson knows that political animal Ellen Burstyn has big plans for the late evening.
Ellen Burstyn is gonna eat a lotta shrimp at the USA party tonight and then say “Nice buns” to a young bartender. — Richard Lawson (@rilaws) September 23, 2013
4. Nick Stadler is having an Emmy crisis that should concern everyone reading this.
This show is doing something I never thought would be possible. It’s making me sick of looking at Neil Patrick Harris. #Emmys
— Nick Stadler (@Nickadoo) September 23, 2013
5. Did you know that the CRAZIEST thing about Liberace was that he was GAY? Because apparently Michael Douglas thinks that. Enjoy my self-inclusion.
Finally, Michael Douglas, the real reason we’re here: to see straight men make gay jokes and feel edgy about it. #Emmys
— Louis Virtel (@louisvirtel) September 23, 2013